This vegan-friendly Sesame Ontario Greenhouse Cucumber Red Pepper and Pasta Salad is full of veggies and is perfect for when you’re craving fresh ingredients. This makes a perfect packed lunch or a light, evening dinner.
Serves 4 (about 8 cups/2 L)
- 8 oz (250 g) whole-wheat spaghetti
- 8 oz (250 g) medium-firm tofu, diced
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) sodium-reduced soy sauce
- ½ tsp (2 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) seeded half slices Ontario Greenhouse Cucumber
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Red Pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each sodium-reduced soy sauce and sesame oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each rice vinegar, vegetable oil and lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced fresh ginger
- ½ tsp (2 mL) grated lemon rind
- 1/8 tsp (.5 mL) cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- Cook spaghetti in a large pot of salted water until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold running water and drain thoroughly.
- Combine tofu with 1½ tsp soy sauce and ½ tsp (2 mL) ginger. Let stand for about 5 minutes. In large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil over medium heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Place spaghetti, cucumber, red pepper and green onions in large bowl. In small bowl combine all dressing ingredients. Toss with pasta mixture, tofu and sesame seeds. Serve at room temperature.
Nutrients per serving (2 cups/500 mL): 396 calories, 18 g total fat, 249 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrates, 11 g fibre, 16 g protein. Excellent source of vitamin C, thiamin and vitamin B12. Good source of folate and iron.