Everything tastes better when it’s beautiful! Use Ontario asparagus to create this gorgeous shaved asparagus salad!
- ¾ lb (375 g) thick Ontario Asparagus, trimmed
- 3 cups (750 mL) baby arugula
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) toasted pine nuts
- 2 ozs (60 g) shredded aged Gouda cheese (about 1 cup/250 mL)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) rice vinegar
- 1½ tbsp (22.5 mL) lemon juice
- ¼ cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) liquid honey
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In small bowl, combine dressing ingredients; set aside.
- Remove the tips of the asparagus and place in a large bowl. Working with 1 asparagus spear at a time, use a vegetable peeper to shave spears into long, thin shavings, discarding the outer layers. (Spears are easier to handle if laid on a flat surface). Add shavings to a large bowl and toss with half dressing. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes to soften asparagus slightly.
- To serve, add arugula, pine nuts and cheese and toss with a bit more dressing. Serve immediately, with additional freshly ground pepper, if desired.
Nutrients per serving (1/4 recipe): 284 calories, 26 g total fat, 276 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrates, 2 g fibre, 8 g protein. Excellent source of folate. Good source of magnesium, iron and zinc.