Tacos are always a good idea – especially when they’re filled with spicy shrimp and sweet strawberry pico de gallo.
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- Tequila Lime Shrimp
- 600g frozen tiger shrimp, defrosted and peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- 1 oz tequila
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Strawberry Pico de Gallo
- 1 pint Ontario-grown strawberries, washed and hulled
- ½ small white onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-2 jalapeños, quartered and sliced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 lime, juiced
- To Assemble
- 12 small corn or flour tortillas
- ¼ cup of yogurt or sour cream
- 12 sprigs of fresh cilantro
- Additional cayenne, for sprinkling
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Place the shrimp in a large bowl and add the olive oil, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, salt, and ground coriander. Pour in the tequila and lime juice and toss to coat. Cover and transfer to the fridge to sit for 15 minutes.
- While the shrimp is marinating, make the pico de gallo. Place the strawberries, onion, garlic, jalapeños, and cilantro in a medium-sized bowl. Add the salt, cumin and lime juice and stir to combine. Cover and place the salsa in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet or cast-iron griddle over medium-high heat until smoking. Add the shrimp and grill until the shrimp turns pink on both sides. This will happen very quickly, so don’t wander off.
- Transfer the shrimp to a plate and start building your tacos. Lay three shrimp in a flour or corn tortilla and spoon some of the Strawberry Pico de Gallo on top. Finish the tacos with a sprig of cilantro, a dollop of yogurt, and sprinkling of cayenne for a little extra kick. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Susan in collaboration with The Berry Growers of Ontario