Entertaining with ease and as comfortable as a fleeced lined Canadian tuxedo!
Plaid is rad. At this point, we’ve now traded in our summer whites for some earth tone hues. As our thermostat is on the decline, fall feasting has now entered the conversation and the search for the best tasting turkey or tofurkey – whichever you fancy – with hopes that the upcoming Thanksgiving entertaining is seamless, stress free and smooth as your Sunday night gravy.
Holidays are always a great time to spend with family and friends. The goal is that you, the host, can also partake in the round table banter and enjoy the fruits of your labour. Whether you are hosting a Thanksgiving dinner or any holiday gathering, here are our five tips to make your event stress-free:
1. Plan ahead: Create a checklist of things you need to do before the event. This includes menu planning, grocery shopping, cleaning, and decorating. Even pre-making a few sides and desserts will create more ease day of. Check out our favourite go-to make ahead items like The Epic Bean Casserole using the DelFrescoPure® Euro Bean The Gourmet Slicing Bean® and Strawberry Shorties using the DelFrescoPure® YES!Berries Your Everyday Snack™ . By planning ahead, you can avoid last-minute chaos, stress and you may even be able to pull yourself together and not greet your guest with dustings of flour across your face. Imagine that!
2. Ask for help: Don’t try to do everything on your own. Ask your family and friends to help with the preparations. You can assign tasks such as setting the table, cooking a dish, or cleaning up after the event. Sometimes letting go of one or two things will go a long way to keep your sanity.
3. Keep it simple: You don’t have to create a 5-star restaurant experience. Keep the menu simple and focus on dishes that can be prepared in advance. You can also opt for potluck-style dinners where everyone brings a dish to share. Make fewer items, but make them substantial. You don’t need 10 different side dishes and a table full of appetizers. Choose a few of your favourites and go with that. We love this simple appetizer – Canapé Grilled Sandwiches – using DelFrescoPure® Ombra™ brown tomatoes
4.Be mindful of special diets: Make sure to ask your guests if they have any special dietary requirements. This can include food allergies, vegetarian or vegan diets, or gluten-free options. By being mindful of your guests’ needs, you can ensure that everyone feels included and comfortable. We love this hearty DelFrescoPure® Stuffed Beefsteak Tomatoes. They can be used as an option for your vegetarian or vegan guests.
5.Enjoy yourself: Remember that the holidays are about spending time with loved ones and creating memories. Don’t get too caught up in the details and stress. Take a deep breath and enjoy the moment.
For more delicious recipes or inspiration, visit www.delfrescopure.com
The Epic Bean Casserole
Ingredients: ½ cup of butter 2 cloves of minced garlic 1/2 cup onion finely diced 3 cup of frozen cubed hash browns 3 cups fresh DelFrescoPure® Euro Bean The Gourmet Slicing Bean® cut on the angle in 1.5 inch pieces 2 cups chicken broth 8 z package of cream cheese 10.75 ounce can cream of mushroom soup 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese 1/4 cup of bread crumbs 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon black pepper crispy onion strings Instructions:
• Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender. Add garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes, then remove from heat and set aside. • Place the, DelFrescoPure® Euro Bean The Gourmet Slicing Bean® , chicken broth, cream cheese, mushroom soup salt, pepper and hash browns in a large bowl and stir to combine.
• Transfer mixture to the skillet with onions and garlic and spread evenly. Place in heated oven for 25 minutes.
• Remove from oven and sprinkle the top with bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and crispy onion strings.
• Place back in oven and bake for another 10 minutes until top is golden brown.
Prep time: 5 mins Cook Time: 35 mins Serves: 6-8
1 package YES!Berries Your Everyday Snack™ strawberries, sliced 6 angel food mini cakes or sliced up 1 package of whipped cream
1 package of vanilla pudding
1 cup of milk 6 coupe glasses
•Prepare the vanilla pudding as per directions on box.
•Prepare all ingredients and layer as follows in the coupe glasses. Place cake at the bottom of coupe, cover cake with vanilla pudding, layer of sliced strawberries, and a scoop of whipped cream.
•Serve immediately, or store chilled until ready to serve, for up to an hour.
Prep time: 10 mins Serves: 6
Stuffed Beefsteak Tomatoes
4 DelFrescoPure® Beefsteak tomatoes, cored, seeds scooped out with a melon baller
1½ tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup grain or grain/legume combination
1 cup lightly wilted kale, spinach or bok choy
½ cup shredded old cheddar cheese
•Preheat oven to 400 degrees or barbecue to medium high.
•Prepare tomatoes as directed in ingredient list.
•Rub inside and out with olive oil then season well with salt and pepper on the inside.
•Combine grain with greens and half the cheese.
•Stuff ½ cup of the mixture into the hollow of each tomato.
•Place 1 tablespoon of remaining cheese on top of each tomato, pressing down to make it sure it is inside the hollow.
•Bake or barbecue for 15 minutes until the tomato is blistered slightly, the filling is hot and the cheese has melted.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Canapé Grilled Sandwiches
Ingredients 4 DelFrescoPure® Ombra™ brown tomatoes
½ package microgreens
8 thin slices of fresh baguette
2 tbsp store-bought basil pesto
5 mini mozzarella balls, cut in half
•Cut the tomatoes into slice and the mini mozzarella balls in halves.
•Place your bread slices on a baking sheet. Spread the pesto on each slice of toast and top with a tomato slice. Then add a piece of cheese to each.
•Broil on low until the cheese begins to melt.
•Remove from the oven, top with microgreens and serve immediately.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 10 sandwiches