Don’t let brunch get you down! A simple combination of ingredients placed in the slow cooker and voila…brunch is served. Local greenhouse peppers and potatoes (as hash browns) along with ham unite to delight your family.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 small Ontario greenhouse sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 small Ontario greenhouse yellow pepper, diced
- 1 ⅛ quarts frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup cooked ham, diced
- 6 eggs
- ⅛ cup 5% light cream or milk
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ⅓ tsp salt
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (old or medium), shredded
- Line the bottom and sides of a 4 quart (4 L) slow-cooker insert with a large sheet of dampened parchment paper.
- In large skillet, over medium-high heat, melt butter. Stir in onion and red and yellow peppers. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 7 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Stir in potatoes and ham and spoon into slow cooker.
- In medium bowl or large glass measuring cup, beat together eggs, cream, dry mustard, garlic powder, salt and cayenne; pour over filling in slow cooker. Sprinkle with cheese. Cook immediately or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Cook on HIGH for 2½ to 3 hours or until thermometer inserted in center reaches 165°F (74°C) and cheese is bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes. Lift the parchment paper holding the brunch bake out of the slow cooker. Transfer to a serving dish.
Serve with a simple mixed green salad. Replace the ham with 5 slices of cooked bacon, crumbled.
Thank you to our friends at Egg Farmers of Ontario for generously providing us with this recipe.