This mushroom-filled pasta dish is creamy and luxurious without being too heavy thanks to the carbonara sauce. Thick and cheesy sauce, lots of protein and simple ingredients; this spaghetti mushroom carbonara will be a family favourite to whip up on busy weekdays.
Serves 1/6 of recipe
15 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pkg (340 g) spaghetti
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen peas
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 lb (125 g) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 lb (125 g) oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 lb (125 g) shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) freshly ground pepper, divided
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs with Parmesan cheese; set aside. Prepare the pasta according to package directions, adding peas in the last minute of cooking. Drain reserving 1/2 cup (125 mL) pasta water.
- Meanwhile, heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until bacon is crisp. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate. Wipe pan with paper towel.
- Heat oil in same skillet set over high heat. Add cremini, oyster, shiitake mushrooms, garlic, salt and half the pepper. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Immediately add hot cooked pasta and peas and hot pasta water to egg mixture. Toss to combine. The residual heat of the pasta and pasta water will thicken and cook the egg mixture to create a rich creamy sauce. Stir in mushrooms and bacon. Garnish with more pepper. Serve with more Parmesan cheese, if desired.