Bring a boost of flavour and meaty texture to your classic Bolognese sauce by replacing a portion of the turkey with mushrooms. We use a combination of sliced and finely chopped mushrooms so the flavour is layered and utterly delicious!
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup sliced white or brown mushrooms plus 2 cups finely chopped white or brown mushrooms
- Kosher salt
- 1 Ontario onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 large Ontario carrots, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, grated
- 10 oz. mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 28 oz canned, crushed tomatoes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 lb whole-wheat spaghetti
- Optional: grated Parmesan cheese
- Warm a tablespoon of oil in a large Dutch oven set over medium heat.
- Add 1 cup sliced mushrooms, season with salt and sauté, stirring often, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pot, as well as the onion, celery and carrots. Season with a teaspoon of salt, sauté until softened, stirring often, for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, stir and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add 2 cups of finely chopped mushrooms and the turkey to the pot and season with a teaspoon of salt. Break up the turkey with the back of a wooden spoon until the pieces are the same size as the vegetables, and cook until browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste until the meat and vegetables are well coated and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until almost evaporated.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, cinnamon stick and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the milk and stir well. Simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Drain well.
- Check the sauce for seasoning and adjust as needed. Stir in the cooked sliced mushrooms.
- Divide the pasta evenly between the plates and top with a large spoonful of sauce. Top with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Thanks to our partner Windmill Farms for generously sharing this recipe with us!