Few fruits remind us of the holidays like naturally tart, vividly red cranberries. They’re wonderful as a sauce or jelly with a classic turkey dinner, but they also shine in baked goods, from muffins to loaves, pies, tarts, cheesecakes and more.
Cranberries sparkle as the star of the show in this comforting crumble that is right at home on the holiday dinner table or family brunch buffet. The fruit filling is not overly sweet, letting the wonderful pucker of cranberries shine through.
Make one crumble at a time, or make several at once and freeze to enjoy hot-from-the-oven any time at all. To freeze, simply assemble (foil pans work nicely for freezer storage), cover with plastic wrap and foil, label and keep in the freezer for up to 6 months. To bake, remove the foil and plastic wrap and bake as directed in the recipe below.
- 1 bag (340 g) Ocean Spray fresh cranberries (equal to 3 cups)
- 3 medium apples, skins on, cores removed and chopped into 1/4-inch thick chunks
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) rolled oats
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190ºC).
- To make the filling, add the cranberries and chopped apples to a 9x9 baking dish. In a mixing bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, nutmeg and cloves. Pour over the fruit and stir to coat.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter. Stir in the oats, flour, cinnamon and salt until well combined. Turn out onto the filling, spreading the crumble topping evenly over the fruit and into the corners.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the fruit is tender and the topping is golden. Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.
This recipe is sponsored by Ocean Spray.