Quick loafs are a great breakfast for those who are on the go! Make it ahead of time, slice and wrap and grab a slice of this delicious spiced pear bread on your way out the door! For a bit of crunch, stir chopped pecans into the batter before scraping into the loaf pan.
15 minPrep Time
1 hr, 15 Cook Time
1 hr, 30 Total Time
- 1 ripe Ontario Pear, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) melted butter
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) ground ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cloves
- 1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 ripe Ontario Pear, peeled, cored and chopped
- Toss the pear slices with the brown sugar, melted butter, lemon juice and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour a 9 x 5-inch (2 L) loaf pan. Whisk the flour with the granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and cloves.
- In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the oil, eggs and vanilla. Stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture just until combined. Fold in the chopped pear. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan; smooth the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Arrange the sliced pears down the center of the loaf. Bake for an additional 50 to 60 minutes or until a tester comes out clean when inserted into the center of the loaf. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Turn loaf out of pan; cool completely.
Nutritional Information per Serving (1/12 recipe): Calories 208, Fat 9g, Cholesterol 12mg, Sodium 245mg, Carbohydrates 17g, Fibre 2g, Sugar 8g, Protein 4g