- 2 tbsp prepared horseradish
- 2 Thai red chilis, optional
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch Ontario-grown asparagus, trimmed to fit a 1 litre jar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp salt
- 4 tbsp sugar
- Cold water to fill
- In the bottom of a 1 litre mason jar place the horseradish, chilis, crushed red pepper flakes, and bay leaves. Place the asparagus in the jar, tip-down. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan pour the vinegar. Add the mustard seed, black peppercorns, salt, and sugar. Place the pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Boil until the salt and sugar dissolves. Take the pan off of the heat and set aside to cool slightly. Give it about 10 minutes.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the asparagus and add enough cold water to ensure the spears are fully immersed. Seal the jar and give it a good shake. Transfer the asparagus to the fridge and let pickle for a minimum of 24 hours. 48 hours is better. The spear will keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
Recipe by Susan of Rhubarb and Cod