This recipe for strawberry and avocado tostadas is a good starter recipe for those looking to experiment with new ways to enjoy strawberries. You might also be pleasantly surprised at how delicious strawberries can be when added to savoury dishes. Their sweet and tangy juiciness blend perfectly with creamy avocados and queso fresco to make delicious starters or sides.
15 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 21/2 cups (625 mL), about 3/4 lb fresh California strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 1/2 lb (225 g) jicama, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced jalapeño peppers
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 lb (454 g) avocados, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 6 (6-inch) yellow corn tortillas
- Chili powder
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp (90 mL) crumbled queso fresco
- 6 cilantro sprigs
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
- Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC)
- In large bowl, mix together strawberries, jicama, cilantro, jalapeño peppers and lime juice.
- Add avocados; fold together gently. Season with salt.
- Arrange tortillas on oven rack in one layer. Toast about 10 minutes or until crisp and starting to brown.
- Mound 1 cup strawberry mixture in centre of each tortilla. Sprinkle each tostada with chili powder and 1 tbsp queso fresco. Garnish with 1 cilantro sprig and 1 lime wedge.
This recipe was kindly provided by our featured member, California Strawberries.