This maple-sweetened strawberry jam is bursting with the flavours of summer, and is sure to quickly become your favourite Canadian condiment. Smear it over toast, sandwich with peanut butter, stir into yogurt or spoon over ice cream… this sweet sauce is a great accompaniment to almost any dish.
- 1 3/4 cups crushed Ontario strawberries
- 1 orange, peeled, sectioned and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup Ontario maple syrup
- 3 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 box Pectin Crystals
- Measure prepared fruit into a large bowl.
- Add lemon juice, maple syrup and sugar to fruit and mix well. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine water and fruit pectin crystals in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir pectin into fruit mixture and continue to stir for 3 minutes until most of the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour into clean jars or plastic containers. Cover with tight lids and let stand at room temperature until set (may take 24 hours).
- Store in freezer. If used within 3 weeks jam may be stored in refrigerator
This recipe was kindly provided by our partner the Ontario Berry Growers.