Who doesn’t love the classic combination of rhubarb and strawberries? Our simple but delicious spice cake is added to this traditional pairing to create the perfect mix of sweet and sour.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅓ tsp baking soda
- ⅓ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups 3-inch (8 cm) pieces rhubarb
- 1 cup hulled and halved strawberries
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease an 8-inch (20 cm) square nonstick pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, baking soda, cloves and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined. Slowly beat in dry ingredients until combined and batter is creamy. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, gently stir together rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Scrape fruit evenly over bottom of prepared pan. Gently spread batter over fruit, covering fruit completely.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes. Once cake is cool enough to handle, gently invert onto serving tray. Slice and serve warm.
Run a knife along the edges of cake and tap the bottom of pan when inverted to help loosen cake.
Frozen sliced (unsweetened) rhubarb, defrosted and patted dry with paper towels, can be used for fresh.
Thank you to our friends at Egg Farmers of Ontario for generously providing us with this recipe.