This strawberry roll cake is ideal for serving alongside afternoon tea or coffee, but also works well for a simple dessert. Jelly roll cakes bake quickly – just 8 to 10 minutes – so you don’t have to worry about the oven warming up your home too much.
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp of salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 cup of smooth ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp of almond extract
- 1 2/3 cup of Ontario strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 10 1/2- x 12-inch (or similar size) jelly roll pan with wax paper or parchment and lightly grease. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs and egg white plus sugar on high speed until it's light and foamy.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into the bowl - and FOLD in lightly and quickly.
- Pour batter into the jelly roll pan and smooth out the surface. Bake approx. 8 to 10 minutes - or until the cake springs back when it's pressed.
- Lay a sheet of wax paper, or parchment paper, on a clean tea towel. Sprinkle the paper with powdered sugar. Turn the sponge cake out onto the prepared paper. Remove the lining paper (the one you used to cook with). Starting from the short end, roll up the sponge cake with the paper using the tea towel as a guide. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together the 1/2 cup icing sugar, ricotta and almond extract together. Unroll the sponge cake layer and spread with the ricotta mixture. Leave a bit of room on the far end. About 3/4 of an inch. Scatter the strawberries over the ricotta. Carefully re roll and of course peel off the paper.
This recipe was kindly provided by our partner the Ontario Berry Growers.