Farmers’ markets are bursting with berries, and when you get home with your haul the first thing you ask yourself is: what do I make with all of these? The answer should almost always include: make a shrub. This acidic fruit syrup is a brilliant addition to all types of mocktails and cocktails, and is even delicious just served over ice with a splash of sparkling water.
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1 cup natural cane sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 (1 inch) strip lemon zest
- Combine strawberries, sugar, vinegar and lemon zest in a medium nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Strain into an airtight heatproof container. Refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours or up to 1 week.
• Add a splash of the shrub to an ice-filled glass and top with sparkling water or use in your favourite cocktail recipe. • Feel free to add ¼ cup basil leaves to the recipe to change the flavour profile of the shrub syrup.