This simply sweet cake features Ontario strawberries, which give it a lovely moist crumb. Enjoy on its own, with a dollop of cream or even more strawberries finely cut, drizzled on top. This cake is delicious with fresh berries, as well as berries that you might find too soft for eating fresh.
- 1 pint fresh Ontario strawberries
- 2/3 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp white sugar, separated
- 2 large Ontario eggs
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment and pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Wash, hull and slice berries into 1-cm-thick pieces; set aside. Beat together butter and 1 ¼ cup sugar until well combined and smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, until fluffy, scraping down the bowl between each addition. Add vanilla and sour cream and stir until well incorporated. Then, add milk and beat until smooth.
- Fold in flour and baking powder, stirring just until combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Place sliced berries evenly on the top and sprinkle evenly with remaining 2 tbsp sugar.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. If you poke the toothpick too close to a berry, the cake will still appear gooey. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Serve cake immediately or cool to room temperature, if desired. Cover loosely and keep on the counter for a few days.