This recipe for homemade turnovers is a summertime favourite. They’re surprisingly easy to make and put a highly popular seasonal berry to good use. Let’s all agree that our STRAWBERRY TURNOVERS WITH PUFF PASTRY are the next homemade baked good you just gotta make.
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 cups fresh strawberries,
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Egg wash:
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon water
- sanding sugar, to sprinkle
- 1 cup icing (powdered) sugar
- 1 tablespoon strained filling
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- Prepare the filling: Melt butter in a skillet on moderate heat. Add strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, salt and vanilla. Stir to combine and cook until bubbling. Pass about two tablespoons of the strawberry mixture through a fine sieve to yield 1 tablespoon of the strawberry mix. Set aside and reserve for the glaze. Next, mix water and cornstarch together in a small bowl and stir into the rest of the strawberry mixture. Continuously stir while the mixture cooks and thickens, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate until cool.
- Prepare the egg wash: Whisk egg and water together in a small bowl. Reserve.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Assemble turnovers: Roll 1 portion of pastry out into a 12-inch square and cut into 4 smaller squares. Add a spoonful of the cooled strawberry mixture to the left side of each square of dough, leaving about ¼-inch from the edge untouched. Brush egg wash along the edge of the pastry and fold the square over to create a rectangle, covering the filling within. Press the edge of the dough together using a fork.
- Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Cut three small slits onto the top of each turnover. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 20 - 30 minutes or until top is a light golden brown colour. Remove from oven and cool for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the glaze: Stir icing sugar together with the reserved strawberry mixture. Add enough milk to create a smooth glaze. Transfer glaze to a piping bag.
- Add glaze: When turnovers are completely cooled, move them over to a wire rack resting on a baking sheet. Snip off a tiny bit of the corner or end of the piping bag. Squeezing the bag gently, drizzle the glaze in a zig-zag pattern by going back and forth over the turnovers.
Recipe by Weekend at the Cottage