This super simple signature pear salad is a classic salad suitable for a delicious, nutritious entree! The tangy crumbled blue cheese is delightfully offset by a sweet and juicy pear. Woody balsamic vinegar gives this salad further depth and hearty flavour. The greens can also be changed to spinach to give the salad extra nutrients. Roasted almonds or candied walnuts are good options with spinach.
- ½ pound mixed salad greens
- 1 large USA Pear
- ½ cup hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 5 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Combine the greens and crumbled blue cheese in a bowl. Toss with enough dressing to lightly coat the leaves; you may not need all of it. Taste and adjust seasoning. Cut the pear into thin slices and nestle them among the greens. Sprinkle the toasted hazelnuts on top.
- In a small bowl, whisk oil and vinegar. Season with salt.
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees. Toast hazelnuts in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet until lightly browned and fragrant, about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool and then chop coarsely.