Looking to incorporate more meatless meals into your routine? We think you’ll like this vegetarian fajita made with sweet Ontario Greenhouse-grown peppers, with black beans, corn, red onion and cilantro. It’s perfect for a fast weekday meal!
Serves 2 fajitas676
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) corn kernels
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) canola oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse green pepper, quartered and seeded
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse yellow pepper, quartered and seeded
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse red pepper, quartered and seeded
- 1 red onion, sliced into rings
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) sour cream
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded pepper Jack cheese
- Corn and Black Bean Salsa: Toss the black beans with the corn, red onion, lime juice, cilantro and salt. Chill for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days.
- Fajitas: Preheat the grill to medium-high; grease the grate well. Whisk the oil with the chili powder, cumin and salt. Toss with the green pepper, yellow pepper, red pepper and red onion. Grill, turning as needed, for 7 to 10 minutes or until well-marked and tender. Cool slightly and thinly slice.
- Divide the grilled vegetables evenly between the tortillas. Top with sour cream, pepper Jack cheese and the salsa.
Add grilled chicken or shrimp for extra protein.
Nutritional Information per Serving (2 fajitas): Calories 676, Fat 26g, Cholesterol 33mg, Sodium 678mg, Carbohydrates 68g, Fibre 6g, Sugar 9g, Protein 24g