A truly decadent treat, these sweet potato gnocchi are sure to impress your family. The creamy butter sauce enhances the flavour of the nutty pecans.
Serves 6 servings517
- 1 lb Sweet potatoes (about 2) (500 g)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (125 mL)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (15 mL)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose unbleached flour (375 mL)
- 2 tbsp butter (30 mL)
- 1 cup Ontario onion (250 mL)
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper (2 mL)
- 1-1/2 cups 35% whipping cream (375 mL)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme (15 mL)
- 1 cup Pecan halves, toasted (250 mL)
- Microwave sweet potatoes on high until tender, about 7 to 10 minutes (cooking time will depend on wattage of your microwave and size of potato) Cut in half and let cool completely.
- Scrape flesh from cooled sweet potatoes into a large bowl. Mash (you will have about 1-1/2 cups (375 mL). Add ricotta, Parmesan, brown sugar and salt; blend well. Gently mix in flour, 1/2 cup (125 mL) at a time, until soft dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; divide into 3 equal pieces. Roll between palms and floured work surface; forming each into a 1-inch (2.5 cm) diameter rope, sprinkling with small amounts of flour if sticky. Cut each rope into 3/4-inch (2 cm) pieces. Roll each piece over tines of a fork to indent (only if desired). Transfer pieces to a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- Bring large pot of boiling salted water to boil. Boil half the gnocchi until tender and floating on surface, about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a clean, rimmed baking sheet. Bring water back to rolling boil and cook remaining gnocchi in same manner. Cool completely. (Can be frozen on baking sheet and then transferred to a re-sealable freezer bag for up to one month.)
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden and tender, about 20 minutes. Add cream and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in thyme and pecans. Toss with cooked gnocchi. Serve immediately.
Tip: Serve in a small dish as an appetizer at your next get together.
Serving Size: 1/8 of recipe
Calories 500, Fat 34g (15g sat), Protein 12g, Carbs 38g, Fibre 4g, Sodium 600mg
Excellent source of Vitamin A and a good source of calcium.