This Sweet Potato and Ontario Apple Gratin is a great side dish for your next family dinner! Sweet potatoes and apples complement each others sweetness while being balanced out with shredded Gruyere cheese. Bon appetit!
- 3 lbs (1.5 kg) sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced in 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick rounds
- 1 onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 4 Ontario apples* peeled, cored and sliced in 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick rounds
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Gruyère cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Arrange half of the sliced sweet potatoes over the bottom of an 8-inch round (2 L) baking dish.
- Arrange half of the sliced onion rings over the sweet potatoes and half of the sliced apples over the onion. Repeat these layers with remaining ingredients.
- In medium bowl, whisk together milk, flour, mustard, salt and pepper. Drizzle over apples. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake until cheese is bubbly and golden and potatoes and apples are tender, approximately 15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
*For best results, use Ontario Empire, Golden Delicious, Spartan, Cortland or Northern Spy apples.