Try making this SweeTango apple soup at home to add a little colour to your lunch. The sweet flavour of the apples complements the velvety texture of sweet potato. For less “heat” in this smooth, Caribbean-style soup, choose a milder chile pepper, such as sweet banana pepper. Fresh basil or Italian parsley are also delicious alternatives in the sour cream garnish.
Makes 8 servings
- 7 cups (1.75 L) no sodium added chicken stock
- 4 SweeTango Apples, washed, halved and cored [skin on], making 8 halves
- 1.5 lbs (1.75 kg) sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (approx. 5 average sweet potatoes)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, chopped, seeds removed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (250 mL) sour cream or low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup (250 mL) SweeTango Apples, cored and chopped into small cubes for garnish
- In large heavy saucepan over high heat, bring stock to boil. Add SweeTango apple halves, sweet potatoes, onion, peppers and butter. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until apples and sweet potatoes are very soft, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool slightly. Purée in food processor or blender, in batches, until smooth. Return soup to saucepan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In small bowl, stir together sour cream and cilantro. Ladle hot soup into individual bowls; top each with dollop of cilantro cream and chopped fresh SweeTango apple.
• Keep left over soup in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. • Where new rubber gloves when chopping hot peppers to avoid transferring the compound that creates the heat onto your hands.
Recipe from SweeTango.com