Sweet, salty, smoky and dangerously delicious – the possibilities for this gourmet tomato and bacon jam are endless, so let your imagination and taste buds run wild!
Serves 2 tbsp130
20 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 20 Total Time
- 1/2 lb (250 g) bacon, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1 large Ontario Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 2 Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- In large, heavy-bottom skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat for 10 minutes or until slightly crisp around edges; drain fat. Stir in onion, thyme, garlic and ginger; cook for 3 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Reserve 1 tsp (5 mL) vinegar. Add remaining vinegar, tomatoes, granulated and brown sugar to skillet; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until syrupy and deep brown colour. Remove from heat; let cool for 10 minutes. Scrape into food processor fitted with metal blade; add reserved vinegar. Pulse until finely chopped, but with a few small pieces remaining; let cool completely.
- Cover and refrigerate in an airtight container for up to one week. Or, while still hot, pour into 1/2 cup (125 mL) sterilized jars; let cool and refrigerate as directed.
- Serve as a condiment with cheese and crackers or a charcuterie board.
- Spread a thin layer on the inside of a grilled cheese sandwich made with aged Cheddar or Swiss cheese.
- Spoon a small amount on devilled eggs, cheeseburgers or baked potatoes before serving.