Tostones is a traditional method for preparing unripe or green plantains. These twice-fried chips are a treat for snacking or could be added to a meal where you might otherwise serve French fries. Enjoy with a sprinkling of sea salt to keep it simple, or dip them into your favourite salsa, guacamole or other dips!
- 1 green plantain per person
- 2-3 Tbsp of vegetable oil
- Wash plantains and cut off the ends. Cut into ¾-1 inch segments and remove the peel using a sharp paring knife.
- Heat oil in cast iron or non-stick frying pan. Using tongs place plantains in the pan and cook on both sides until for about 3 minutes in total. Their colour will turn from pale cream to yellow.
- Remove pan from heat and using tongs, remove plantain and place on a cutting board or plate covered in paper towel. Using a flat surface like the bottom of a small plate, apply even pressure to each piece to flatten it into a disk.
- Then place pan back onto medium heat and add the plantains back into the hot oil. Cook on both sides until slightly golden. Place onto paper towel once more to remove excess oil and serve!