These Tuscan Stuffed Ontario Mushrooms can be prepped ahead of time, but only bake them just before serving. These are great to serve as an appetizer or as even as a side dish! If you are hosting a large crowd, this recipe can easily be doubled.
Makes 12 (4 servings)
Serves 3 mushrooms110
- 12 large Ontario Mushrooms (about 2-inches/5 cm wide)
- 1 Ontario Shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove Ontario Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- ½ cup (125 mL) crumbled Ontario Goat Cheese (2 oz/60 g)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh breadcrumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Wipe mushrooms with a damp paper towel and remove stems. Finely chop stems.
- Arrange mushroom caps in single layer on parchment lined baking sheet.
- In skillet, cook stems, shallot and garlic in oil, over medium-high heat, until lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to mixing bowl.
- Stir in goat cheese, tomatoes, basil, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Spoon filling into mushroom caps, mounding slightly. Top each with a little parmesan cheese. Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes and serve sprinkled with chopped parsley, if desired.
Tip: Wipe mushrooms with damp paper towel to clean, as they will absorb water if washed.
Nutrients per serving (3 mushrooms): 110 calories, 8 g total fat, 242 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrates, 1 g fibre, 6 g protein. Excellent source of vitamin D. Good source of riboflavin.
Watch the video to get inspired!