We love incorporating a hint of lavender into desserts and these lavender marinated strawberries are the perfect topping to a freshly baked loaf of vanilla pound cake featuring greenhouse strawberries, everything can be prepared in advance & assembled just before serving!
15 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons + 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup full-fat plain or vanilla yogurt
- 2 cups Ontario strawberries, hulled & quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon culinary lavender buds
- Sweetened whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 325(f) degrees. Grease & line a 9-inch loaf pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment cream the butter & 1 cup sugar until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time followed by the vanilla extract & yogurt. Beat until combined.
- Sift in the flours, baking powder & salt. Beat until the batter just comes together.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan & bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool completely before removing from pan & slicing.
- As the cake cools, prepare the strawberries. Add strawberries to a small mixing bowl. Using a mortar & pestle, grind together the remaining sugar & lavender until the lavender is finely ground.
- Toss the sugar with the strawberries & let marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, slice the pound cake into ½-inch thick slices. Top with strawberries & a dollop of whipped cream.
Recipe by Marcella of Modest Marce