Vegans and Omnivores alike will enjoy this moist and flavourful carrot cake recipe. Using apple sauce and a generous portion of fresh grated Ontario carrots, little oil is required. Dress it up for a special event with vegan icing, or omit the icing and slice it into smaller squares to add to a packed lunch.
1 large cake
45 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 4 tbsp flax meal + ¾ cup warm water (replaces 2 eggs)
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup vegetable oil*
- ½ cup non-sweetened apple sauce*
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 2 ½ cups grated carrots
- Option: ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 110 grams (Vegan) Cream cheese
- 1/3 cup (Vegan) Butter or margarine
- 2 ½ cups Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- CAKE: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Use one 9x13 pan or two, 9 inch cake pans. Prepare pan(s); spray with no-stick cooking spray or grease pans and line bottoms with parchment paper.
- In small bowl, combine ground flax seed with water and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cinnamon. Then add vanilla, vegetable oil, flax seed combination, apple sauce, sugar, and beat until well combined. Blend in carrots and nuts if desired.
- Pour batter equally into prepared pan(s) and bake for 45-55 minutes until done when tested. The top should spring back when touched and an inserted toothpick in the center will come out clean. Remove from oven and let stand for approx. 10 minutes. Then remove from pan and let cool on rack before icing if desired.
- ICING: Using an electric mixer, blend until smooth. Add icing sugar slowly to prevent it spraying out of the bowl.
Tip: Make this perfect for packed lunches! Just omit the nuts, skip the icing and cut into snack sized pieces!
Option: If you do not have any apple sauce, you can increase the oil to 1 cup instead.
This recipe was provided by our featured member, Gwillimdale Farms.