This tasty recipe was developed for us by Lisa at The Viet Vegan!
These vegan rice bowls are as delicious as they are colourful and nutritious! You can find soy curls on Amazon or at your local vegan-friendly grocery store.
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water (or cook rice according to your rice cooker instructions)
- 115 g soy curls (about half a bag or 2 cups)
- 3 cups boiling water (you can substitute vegetable broth)
- 1 tsp mushroom broth powder (omit if you’re just using vegetable broth instead)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small Ontario onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 4 cups torn green leaf lettuce, 2 cups per bowl
- ½ cup Ontario Greenhouse tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup chopped Ontario Greenhouse cucumber
- Cook rice in a rice cooker, or however you prefer to cook rice. Set aside.
- Rehydrate soy curls with boiling water and mushroom broth powder (or simply use hot vegetable broth). Let soak until completely rehydrated (about 5 minutes), then drain well and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Preheat a large pan over medium, and add 1 tbsp of oil. Panfry the rehydrated soy curls with sliced onion and stir well, cooking for about 5-10 minutes until you see a nice browning on the soy curls. Season with the lemon pepper seasoning, and toss to coat and evenly season the soy curls. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Assemble the bowls by layering the lettuce, Ontario greenhouse tomato, Ontario Greenhouse cucumber, rice, and the lemon pepper soy curls. Enjoy! If you find you need any seasoning, feel free to make a lemon vinaigrette, but the tomatoes and cucumber are so juicy and refreshing you won’t even need a dressing.
Recipe by The Viet Vegan for Produce Made Simple