These vegetable corn fritters come together easily and are delicious as a snack, appetizer, or even a meal. My family enjoys them with a side of Greek Tzatziki and paired with a simple side salad. You can make them more of a meal by simply topping with a fried egg!
- 1 medium Ontario carrot, with skin on and scrubbed, coarsely grated
- 1/2 large Ontario yellow onion, coarsely grated
- 2 small zucchini, end trimmed and coarsely grated
- 1 1/2 cup cooked fresh corn kernels
- 1 large Ontario egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Avocado oil for frying
- Place the grated onion and zucchini in a colander and sprinkle over 1/2 of the tsp of salt. Toss and leave to rest for 5 mins.
- In a large bowl, add the carrot, corn, egg, flour, baking powder, paprika, remaining salt and pepper. Squeeze as much liquid as you can from the zucchini and onion and discard the liquid. Add the drained zucchini and onion in a bowl and mix well to combine ingredients evenly, without breaking up the zucchini too much.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Place a 1/4 cup scoop of the fritter batter into the hot oil. Press the batter down to compact it. Using a spatula, press the sides in to help create a patty shape.
- Let the fritters cook in the oil for about 2-3 minutes, you will see the edges starting to turn golden. Then carefully using a spatula, flip the corn fritters over to cook on the other side. Once both sides are golden brown, remove from the pan and set on a tray lined with a paper towel to absorb any extra oil. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Tip: Can substitute frozen corn for fresh. Use rice flour instead of all-purpose for a gluten free fritter.
Recipe developed by Produce Made Simple Ambassador, Irene Matys.
Get inspired and watch our video!