This warm mushroom salad is perfect for those days where you crave a salad but it’s still cold outside. Warm, golden crisp pancetta over sautéed mushrooms are meaty in flavour over a bed of peppery arugula and served with an acidic dressing to marry everything together. Mouth-watering and filling, while still being low-carb, full of protein and fibre!
Serves 1 3/4 cup
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cubed pancetta
- 1 lb (500 g) mixed Ontario mushrooms, such as Portobello, baby Portobello, cremini, shiitaki, oyster or button, sliced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grainy mustard
- 6 cups (1.5 L) baby arugula
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add pancetta and cook, stirring for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet and increase the heat to medium- high heat. Stir in the mushrooms, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper. Sauté for 7 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Return pancetta to pan. Stir in the vinegar and mustard. Serve over a bed of arugula with lemon wedges.
- Great side for a grilled steak.
- Finish with some grated or shaved Parmesan cheese, if desired.