This is a recipe you probably haven’t tried before. Bring this Warm Ontario Mushroom and Tomato Salad to your next get together and wow guests with its bursts of fresh flavours and local produce. You can make this recipe almost all year too! Did you know that Ontario mushrooms are grown year-round and Ontario greenhouse tomatoes are available almost all of the time!
Serves 4 Side Dishes
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) olive oil
- 2 cups (16 ounces) Ontario cremini or white mushrooms, cut in half
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) cherry or grape Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes
- Sea salt and pepper, for taste
- 5-7 fresh basil leaves
- (Optional) Thai chili, thinly sliced for garnish
- In a skillet, warm up 2 tbsp of the olive oil over medium heat. Add Ontario mushrooms and garlic to the pan evenly, stirring and cooking slowly until soft. Cook until the juices from the mushrooms have reduced to almost nothing.
- Add in the remaining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Ontario cherry or grape tomatoes, and sea salt/pepper and stir until everything is evenly blended.
- Cook for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool a little before serving. Top with the fresh basil.
- Optional: If you like your food with a little heat, garnish with fresh Thai chilies that have been thinly sliced.