This warm quinoa, kale, and orange salad is a tasty and easy way to get in your fruits and veggies! Iron from the leafy greens are better absorbed when you pair it with the vitamin C in Chilean oranges, plus it’s delicious!
- ¾ cup fresh navel orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) quinoa
- 1¾ cups (430 mL) water
- 1½ bunches kale, cut into 1”x1” pieces
- 1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) navel orange segments
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) crumbled feta cheese
- In a blender, combine orange juice, Dijon mustard, salt, and black pepper together and let
- blender run at medium speed. Slowly pour olive oil in the running blender until all ingredients
- are completely emulsified. Set aside.
- Bring 1¾ cups water to a boil. Add quinoa and
- reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until
- the quinoa is tender, and the water has been
- absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool,
- Place kale in a steamer basket over 1 inch of boiling water in a saucepan. Cover saucepan
- with a lid and steam kale until hot, about 45 seconds; transfer to a large plate and let cool.
- Fluff quinoa with fork. Then fold in avocado, orange segments, red onion and feta cheese.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the kale and Orange Dijon Dressing until the kale is lightly coated.
- Transfer the kale on a serving plate and top with the quinoa, avocado and orange mixture.
This recipe was kindly provided by our featured member, Citrus from Chile!