Agua frescas (Spanish: water refreshments) are popular in Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean and are made from fruits blended with sugar and water to make a non-alcoholic beverage. Due to the natural sweetness of watermelon, minimal amount of additional sugar is required. For this watermelon agua fresca, try substituting with Splenda or the like for a calorie cut!
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped watermelon
- 7 cups (1,750 mL) coarsely chopped watermelon
- 6 cups (1,500 mL) watermelon juice (Simply blend watermelon in a blender to create fresh juice)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar (or less to taste)
- 1 lime, zest and juice of
- Add water to suit your taste, still or sparkling
- Combine all ingredients in a large serving pitcher. Garnish with watermelon wedges and mint.