You can reduce waste by making these Watermelon Rind Pickles instead of throwing out the rind.
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) coarse salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) peeled watermelon rind (leave a thin layer of pink), cut into 1 x 1/2 x 2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cups (180 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cider vinegar
- 4 black peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) of whole allspice
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) pickling spice
- 1 long slice of fresh ginger
- In large pot, bring water and salt to boil over medium high heat. Add rind pieces and boil until tender, about 5 minutes. Strain. Transfer rinds to a large metal bowl.
- In saucepan, combine sugar, cider vinegar, peppercorns, cloves, allspice, pickling spice and ginger. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 15 minutes, until slightly reduced. Pour over watermelon rinds in bowl. Place plate over top to keep rinds submerged in liquid. Cover and refrigerate for one day. Transfer to a glass jar and keep sealed in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Serving suggestion: Enjoy with your favorite deli meats and cheeses, or with other pickled veggies for a tasting party.