April showers bring May flowers and delicious Ontario produce. Plant-based dietitian Nicole shares what she eats in a day:
STRAWBERRY RHUBARB OATMEAL BAKE
- 1 cup sliced Ontario strawberries
- 1 cup chopped Ontario rhubarb
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1.5 cups oats
- 2 tbsp nut or seed butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Walnuts for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray casserole dish with avocado oil. Add prepped strawberries and rhubarb and half of the maple syrup.
- Mix together the oats, nut/seed butter, cinnamon and rest of the maple syrup. Spread on top of fruit. Top with walnuts.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Enjoy!
TOFU SPRING SANDWICH
- 14 oz package of extra firm tofu, pressed for 15 mins and sliced
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup almond or seed butter
- 2 tbsp oil
- 8 large leaves Boston lettuce
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 6 Ontario radishes, sliced
- 4 tbsp green onion, chopped
- Mix together marinade ingredients in a medium – soy sauce, lime juice, nut butter and oil. Add sliced tofu to marinade and let sit for 15 mins.
- Pan fry marinaded tofu by heating a skillet over medium-high heat. Add avocado oil spray before adding tofu. Pan fry for 3-5 mins on each side.
- Arrange tofu with the rest of the sandwich ingredients and enjoy!
- 1 small roasted Ontario beets (or 2-3 canned beets)
- 1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Add all ingredients in blender/processor and blend until smooth. Add to box with cucumber, carrots and crackers.
ASPARAGUS PESTO GNOCCHI
- 16 oz gnocchi
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- One bunch of Ontario asparagus, chopped into 1 inch sections
- 1.5 cup edamame
- 2 tbsp pesto
- Cook gnocchi according to package directions. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add avocado oil. Add sliced shallots and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add asparagus and cook for 8-10 mins. Add edamame and gnocchi for 2-3 more minutes then add pesto. Enjoy!
LEMON YOGURT DIP
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon rind
- Ontario strawberries, sliced
- Mix together all of the ingredients, expect for the strawberries. Portion into dip containers and enjoy with strawberries.
Recipes by: Nicole Osinga