These vegetarian zucchini boats are a simple yet creative way to serve zucchini. Feel free to serve with a side of quinoa or rice, or pair with your favourite protein.
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- Quarter to half of One Yellow onion (depending on the size of the onion)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp oil of choice for cooking
- 1 zucchini
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley, chopped to garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Place parchment paper on baking tray and set aside.
- Finely chop onion and garlic. Place oil in pan and heat. Add onion and garlic and cook over medium heat until lightly browned.
- While that is cooking, wash zucchini and cut off stem end. Cut into half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the middle leaving approximately .5cm at the bottom. Finely cut the zucchini that you scooped out and add to the onion and garlic in the pan to also soften. If necessary, reduce heat to avoid burning.
- Add the cooked mixture back into zucchini shells and place on prepared baking tray. Cook in pre-heated oven for approximately 20 minutes until the shells have softened. Remove and sprinkle over cheese and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Tip: Serve with rice, quinoa or couscous and add a protein of your choice to make this into an easy meal. Alternatively serve on its own as a healthy starter.