Go beyond the classic baked potato and impress guests by creating a restaurant-worthy dish with simple ingredients that taste very gourmet. Everyone will love these chorizo, onion and cheese stuffed potato boats!
15 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 6 Ontario Long Potatoes (such as Russet Burbank, Russet Norkotah, Frontier Russet and Shepody), scrubbed clean
- 2 spicy chorizo sausages, casings removed
- 1 Ontario Cooking Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Ontario Greenhouse Green Pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) milk
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded manchego cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Arrange potatoes on baking sheet; bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until very tender when tested with fork or thin knife blade. Let cool for 15 minutes or until easy to handle but still warm.
- Meanwhile, crumble sausage meat into large skillet set over medium-high heat; cook, breaking up into small pieces, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add onion and green pepper; cook for 10 minutes or until tender and vegetables are lightly browned. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut off top third of each potato; reserve for another use. Scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4-inch (5 mm) border; place in large bowl. Add sour cream, milk, salt and pepper to bowl; mash until smooth. Toss cheese with parsley; gently fold sausage mixture and half of the cheese mixture into mashed potatoes.
- Divide evenly among potato shells, mounding filling as needed. Sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture. Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until filling is warmed through and cheese is melted.
- Use top portion of baked potatoes to thicken soups, add to stuffing, stews or toss with a warm salad.