Chunks of fresh apricots are nestled in the flakey layers of these easy-peasy cream scones. Pair them with a drizzle of vanilla glaze and a cup of tea for the perfect summer snack.
- 4 ripe apricots
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22.5 mL) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (500 mL) flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 2/3 tsp (3 mL) salt
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp (265 mL) whipping cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) whipping cream
- 4 – 5 tbsp (60-75 mL) icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF/220ºC
- Finely chop the apricots and add them to a small bowl. Toss with 1/2 tbsp. (7.5 mL) of the sugar and the vanilla and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, the remaining tablespoon of sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Scrape the chopped apricots and their juices into the flour mixture. Gently toss to coat with flour.
- Pour the cream into the flour mixture, reserving a few tablespoons. Briefly stir before turning the dough out onto the counter. The dough will be wet and sticky in some places, but dry in others. Drizzle the remaining cream over the dry spots and pat the dough into a circle 1 inch thick. Fold the dough in half, and then pat out into a circle again. Repeat two more times.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into 6 equal wedges. Place the wedges on a baking tray and brush with the tablespoon of whipping cream. Bake at 425ºF/220ºC for 12 – 16 minutes or until the scones are golden brown on the edges and lightly browned on the top. Cool the scones on a wire rack while you prepare the glaze.
- To make the glaze, whisk together the 2 tbsp (30 mL) of whipping cream and 4 tbsp (60 mL) of icing sugar. If you prefer your glaze to be thicker, add the additional tablespoon of icing sugar. Whisk in the vanilla extract, then drizzle over the scones and serve immediately. If you are making the scones ahead of time, allow them to cool completely before adding the glaze to prevent it from melting off the scones.
This recipe was developed by Stephanie Eddy. Stephanie lives in Calgary, AB and is the creator of Clockwork Lemon, a blog dedicated to baking, brunches, and other kitchen adventures. Along with sharing recipes and photos on her blog, Stephanie develops recipes for the Globe and Mail. Her column “Icing on the Cake” features easy, yet tempting, desserts that encourage Canadians to get baking.